Super-fragrant, perfectly ripe peaches are the key to this delicately flavoured gelato. Roast a double batch to offer extra on the side, or simply serve it with fresh peach wedges.
- 1 litre (4 cups) goat’s milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 200 gm raw caster sugar
- Too serve: crumbled store-bought meringue (optional)
- 220 gm (1 cup) raw caster sugar
- 6 ripe peaches, halved
- 60 ml dessert wine
- Juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 1For roast peaches, preheat oven to 220C. Spread sugar evenly over the base of a roasting pan that will fit peaches snugly. Press cut sides of peaches into sugar to coat thickly, then arrange cut-side up and drizzle wine and juices around them. Roast, turning occasionally, until caramelised and tender (20-25 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- 2Bring milk to the simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale, pour milk mixture over and whisk to combine. Return to pan and heat, and stir continuously until mixture thinly coats the back of a spoon (4-5 minutes). Strain into a bowl and refrigerate until chilled (2-3 hours).
- 3Purée roast peaches in a blender until smooth, whisk into gelato, then churn in an ice-cream machine. Freeze in an airtight container until firm (1 hour) and serve with extra roast peaches.
Note This recipe makes about 2 litres.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsA year-round travel guide to Austria's western AlpsYesterday 12:00am