Smoked trout or salmon works beautifully in potato salad. Here we've changed it up and lightly pickled the trout instead, which cuts the fish's natural richness and adds extra piquancy.
- 1 kg waxy potatoes, such as Desiree, cut into wedges
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges to serve
- 1 cup (loosely packed) frisée
- 1 baby fennel bulb, thinly shaved on a mandolin, fronds reserved
- ¾ cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
Quick pickled trout
- 250 ml white wine vinegar (1 cup)
- 55 gm caster sugar (¼ cup)
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- Juice and thinly peeled rind of 1 lemon
- Juice and thinly peeled rind of ½ orange
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 400 gm skinless ocean trout fillet, pin-boned
- 1For quick pickled trout, stir all ingredients except trout in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then season to taste and set aside to cool. Place trout in a non-reactive container, pour pickling liquid over and refrigerate to pickle (30-45 minutes).
- 2Preheat oven to 200C. Combine potatoes, olive oil and lemon rind in a large bowl, season to taste, spread in a roasting pan lined with baking paper and roast, shaking pan occasionally, until golden and very tender (40-45 minutes). Set aside to cool to room temperature, then transfer to a large bowl.
- 3Remove trout from pickling liquid and slice. Remove shallot from pickling liquid (reserve 40ml liquid; discard remainder) and add to potato mixture. Add frisée, fennel, reserved fronds and parsley and set side.
- 4Dry-roast fennel seeds until fragrant (30 seconds), coarsely crush with a mortar and pestle, then transfer to a bowl. Add reserved pickling liquid, whisk in lemon juice and mustard, then whisk in extra-virgin olive oil to combine and season to taste. Add to potato mixture with trout, toss to combine and serve with lemon wedges.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am