- 30 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp each finely chopped sage and thyme, plus extra, coarsely torn, to serve
- 1 kg cauliflower (1 small), coarsely chopped
- 250 gm floury potatoes (such as sebago), coarsely chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) each milk and chicken stock
- 200 gm crème fraîche
- Finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- 100 gm softened butter
- 100 gm finely grated vintage cheddar
- 2 tsp thyme
- 4 small sourdough rolls, halved
- 1Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, garlic and herbs, season to taste and stir occasionally until light golden (4-5 minutes).
- 2Process cauliflower and potato in batches in a food processor or with a hand-held blender, then add to pan along with milk, stock and 500ml water. Season to taste, cover with a lid, bring to the boil, then uncover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower and potato are tender (10-15 minutes). Add crème fraîche, lemon rind and juice, blend with a hand-held blender until smooth, season to taste and keep warm.
- 3For cheddar toasts, beat ingredients except bread rolls in a bowl to combine (1-2 minutes) and season to taste. Spread thickly on rolls and grill until golden and bubbling. Serve hot alongside hot cauliflower soup, scattered with extra herbs.