To add that hibachi flavour without the fuss, char the marinated chicken on a wire rack set over a gas flame instead of in a pan before you roast it (it will need a little longer in the oven).
- 60 ml (¼ cup) soy sauce
- 60 ml (¼ cup) sake
- 50 gm brown sugar
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely grated
- 10 gm (about 2cm) ginger, finely grated
- 1 kg skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
- 100 gm crème fraîche
- 100 gm mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp wasabi paste
- 50 ml lemon juice, or to taste
- 500 gm cabbage (about ¼), shaved on a mandoline
- 100 gm daikon (about ¼), peeled and cut into julienne on a mandoline
- 1 telegraph cucumber, peeled and cut into julienne on a mandoline
- 3 spring onions, julienned
- 1 cup loosely packed shiso leaves, thinly sliced
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Whisk soy, sake, sugar, vinegar, garlic and ginger in a bowl until sugar dissolves. Add chicken, massage to coat well and marinate for 5 minutes.
- 2Heat a barbecue or char-grill pan to high heat. Drain chicken from marinade and grill, turning occasionally, until charred (4-5 minutes). Transfer to a baking tray, drizzle with remaining marinade, and roast until juices run clear when pierced with a skewer (8-10 minutes).
- 3For wasabi slaw, whisk crème fraîche, mayonnaise, wasabi and lemon juice in a bowl and season to taste. Add cabbage, daikon, cucumber, spring onion and shiso and toss to combine. Sprinkle chicken and wasabi slaw with spring onion and serve with lemon wedges.