A green salad bowl is just the ticket when you want to feel both virtuous and refreshed. Here, a mix of greens, herbs, apple, freekeh and a creamy tahini dressing provide the feel-good vibes.
- 200 gm freekeh or other cracked whole grain
- 2 bunches rocket, thinly sliced, plus extra rocket leaves
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, torn
- 1 cup mint, torn
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 apple, cut into matchsticks
- Ground linseed, to serve
- Coarsely chopped tamari almonds, to serve
- Sliced avocado halves and poached eggs, to serve
- 60 ml (¼ cup) lemon juice (or to taste)
- 1½ tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (or to taste)
- 1Cook freekeh in a saucepan of boiling water until tender (15 minutes). Drain, then spread on a tray and cool.
- 2For tahini-lemon dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl and season to taste, adding extra lemon juice or oil to taste. If tahini is too thick, add a little water to loosen.
- 3Combine rocket, herbs, spring onion, celery and apple in a bowl and toss to combine. Add freekeh and dressing, toss well to coat, then scatter over linseed and almonds. Divide among bowls and serve salad topped with egg and avocado.