Give these wings a good charring when you grill them - it adds another level of flavour.
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 4 birdseye chillies, coarsely chopped
- 20 gm light palm sugar
- 60 ml each fish sauce and lime juice (about 3 juicy limes), or to taste (¼ cup)
- 1½ tbsp coarsely chopped coriander, plus extra leaves to garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 225C and heat a char-grill pan or barbecue to medium heat. Toss chicken in fish sauce, then grill, turning occasionally, until almost cooked through and well charred (15 minutes). Transfer to an oven tray and roast until chicken is cooked through (10 minutes; if using a barbecue, transfer to a disposable foil tray and close the lid on the barbecue).
- 2Meanwhile, for nahm jim, pound garlic and a pinch of salt with a mortar and pestle to a fine paste. Add chilli and pound to a coarse paste, add sugar and pound to combine, then stir in fish sauce and lime juice to taste, and chopped coriander.
- 3Scatter chicken wings with coriander and serve with nahm jim dipping sauce.