- 800 gm skinless flathead fillets, cut into 10cm pieces
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- To taste: finely grated rind of 1 lemon, plus lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 baby cos, torn
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup (loosely packed) mint
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 25 ml white wine vinegar, or to taste
- To serve: coriander cress (optional)
- 300 gm mayonnaise (1 cup)
- 1 golden shallot, diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp drained capers in vinegar, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Sherry vinegar, or to taste
- Finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon, or to taste
- 1For caper aïoli, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and set aside.
- 2Combine flathead in a large bowl with spices and lemon rind, season to taste and toss to coat well. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add flathead and fry, turning occasionally, until browned and just cooked through (3-4 minutes). Dress with a little lemon juice and divide among plates.
- 3Toss remaining ingredients in a bowl to combine, season to taste and serve with flathead and caper aïoli.