Freekeh has such nice flavour and texture that simple preparations are best. Here a herb dressing keeps it bright, while raw cauliflower adds texture.
- 250 gm wholegrain freekeh
- Arils from 1 pomegranate
- 1 small cauliflower, trimmed and thinly shaved on a mandolin
- 1 frisée, pale leaves washed and torn
- ¼ cup finely chopped coriander
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Cook freekeh in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender (30 minutes). Drain well, then set aside to cool.
- 2For herb dressing, stir ingredients in a bowl to combine.
- 3Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl. Add freekeh and dressing, toss to combine, season to taste and serve.
Drink suggestion: Skin-contact sauvignon blanc. Drink suggestion by Max Allen.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsA year-round travel guide to Austria's western AlpsYesterday 12:00am