- 1 kg pork ribs, cut across the bone into 4cm pieces (see note)
- 70 gm galangal, thinly sliced
- 18 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 10 red shallots, cut into wedges
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 lemongrass stalks (white part only), coarsely chopped
- 12 small green Thai chillies, or to taste
- 50 ml fish sauce
- 100 ml lime juice, plus lime wedges to serve
- 1Bring ribs and 1.5 litres water to the boil in a large saucepan, skim off scum, reduce heat and simmer until ribs are tender (1¼ hours). Remove ribs with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- 2Add galangal, lime leaves, shallots, garlic and lemongrass to the pan and simmer for 10 minutes to infuse stock. Remove some or all of the aromatics with a slotted spoon, return ribs to the soup with green chillies and reserved aromatics and season with fish sauce and lime juice to taste.
- 3Serve hot, seasoned with chilli powder, spring onions and mint, with lime wedges for squeezing.
Note Ask your butcher to cut the ribs to size.
Drink Suggestion: Medium-dry cider. Drink suggestion by Max Allen