- 500 gm kipfler potatoes, scrubbed
- 50 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup watercress sprigs (loosely packed)
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, torn (loosely packed)
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 smoked rainbow trout, coarsely flaked (skin and bones discarded)
- 3 dill pickles, quartered or sliced
- To serve: salmon roe
- To serve: whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover generously with cold salted water, bring to the boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat to medium and gently boil until tender but holding their shape (30-35 minutes). Drain, then, when cool enough to handle, peel and slice into thick rounds. Combine in a bowl with vinegar, season to taste and stir to coat. Refrigerate for flavours to develop (at least an hour, or overnight).
- 2Cook egg in a saucepan of boiling water (8 minutes for hard-boiled), drain, refresh under cold running water, peel and set aside.
- 3Add watercress, parsley and oil to potatoes and mix well with your hands until leaves are coated and glossy. Layer the potato mixture, trout and dill pickles on a platter. Top with salmon roe, finely grate egg over, dollop with mayonnaise to taste and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Fragrant white roussanne. Drink suggestion by Max Allen