- 8 large waxy potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 3-4 oregano sprigs, leaves picked from half
- 2 lemons (skin on: 1 cut into 1cm pieces; 1 thinly sliced), plus wedges to serve
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 John Dory or sea bream (about 2kg)
- 150 ml white wine, such as pinot bianco, verdicchio or vermentino
- 1Preheat oven to 250C (or as high as possible). Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil, add potato, cook until just tender (5 minutes), then drain and transfer to a bowl. Add oil, most of the picked oregano leaves, lemon pieces and garlic, season to taste, mix well, then transfer to a roasting pan large enough to hold the fish snugly.
- 2Stuff fish with oregano sprigs and lemon slices, then season inside and out. Place fish on potatoes, drizzle with oil and roast until fish is just cooked (20-28 minutes; see note). Remove fish and keep warm. Pour wine over potatoes and roast until potatoes are golden (10–15 minutes). Remove from heat and scatter with remaining oregano.
- 3Lift flesh from fish and serve with potatoes, the juices from the pan and lemon wedges.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am