For a vegetarian option, double the white bean recipe and serve it with char-grilled bread drizzled with olive oil and rubbed with garlic.
- 500 ml chicken or vegetable stock (2 cups)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 800 gm canned white beans, drained, rinsed under cold water
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 100 gm thinly sliced curly kale
- 40 gm finely grated parmesan, plus extra, to serve
- 500 gm minced chicken
- 60 gm parmesan, finely grated
- 50 gm fine fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1For chicken meatballs, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste, form heaped tablespoons of mixture into balls and set aside on an oven tray.
- 2Bring stock to the simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Add meatballs in batches and simmer until just cooked (4-5 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Reserve stock.
- 3Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and stir occasionally until tender (4-6 minutes). Add beans and thyme, stir to coat, then add reserved stock and simmer until reduced by half (4-5 minutes). Add kale, stir until beginning to soften (1-2 minutes), then add meatballs and stir to warm through. Add parmesan, season to taste, spoon into serving bowls and serve hot with extra parmesan.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am