- 400 ml canned coconut milk
- 50 ml fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 lemongrass stalks, bruised
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, crushed in your hand
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 small red chillies, thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
- 1 kg mussels, cleaned
- 400 gm dried rice noodles
- Juice of 1 lime, or to taste, plus extra wedges to serve
- 20 gm light palm sugar, finely chopped, or to taste
- To serve: coriander
- 1Combine coconut milk, fish sauce, soy sauce, lemongrass and lime leaves in a saucepan and simmer over medium heat until flavours develop (6-8 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a separate saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, garlic and chilli and fry, stirring occasionally, until tender (2-3 minutes). Add mussels, cover with a lid and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until mussels open (2-3 minutes).
- 3Cook noodles in a saucepan of boiling water until tender (1-2 minutes), drain and divide among bowls.
- 4Tip mussels into coconut broth, add lime juice and sugar and adjust seasoning to taste. Ladle mussels and broth over noodles, top with extra chilli and coriander and serve with lime wedges.