Cola?! Before you recoil in horror, trust us - this method of cooking actually results in one of the most complex and delicious hams ever. The side dishes can be made a day or two ahead, the rest is very straightforward. Start this recipe a day ahead to pickle the onion.
- 1 leg or shoulder ham (about 5kg), skin removed, fat scored
- 1 litre cola
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 1 tsp each whole cloves and fennel seeds
- 3 cardamom pods
Pickled red onion
- 1 kg red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fine sea salt
- 1 litre cider vinegar
- 330 gm (1½ cups) caster sugar
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 10 cloves
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 3 whole dried chillies
Creamy potato and egg salad
- 1.2 kg small Dutch cream potatoes, scrubbed
- 8 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 250 ml (1 cup) sunflower oil
- 2 cups (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley
- 1For pickled red onion, combine onion and salt in a large bowl, cover and set aside at room temperature to soften (2 hours). Stir vinegar, sugar and spices in a saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves, then cool to room temperature. Drain onion in a colander, rinse under cold running water, then combine with vinegar mixture in a non-reactive container and refrigerate to pickle (overnight).
- 2For creamy potato and egg salad, place potatoes in a saucepan with 1 tsp of salt, cover with cold water, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until tender when pierced with a skewer or small knife (20-25 minutes). Drain and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, place eggs in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil, cook for 5 minutes, then drain and cool under cold running water. For mayonnaise, whisk egg yolks, mustard and vinegar in a bowl until pale and frothy, then add oil in a thin steady stream, whisking continuously until thick and emulsified. Season to taste. Peel potatoes and cut into slim wedges. Peel eggs and cut each into 8 pieces. Combine potatoes, eggs, parsley and mayonnaise in a bowl, stir to combine and refrigerate until required.
- 3Preheat oven to 180C. Place ham in a large roasting pan or casserole dish with cola and spices and roast for 2 hours, basting with cola every 20 minutes. Remove ham from pan and cover with foil. Transfer pan to stovetop, bring liquid to the boil and reduce to the consistency of maple syrup (25-30 minutes), then brush thickly over ham. Serve at room temperature with creamy potato and egg salad and pickled red onion.
Drink Suggestion: Rich amber ale. Or cola. Drink suggestion by Max Allen