Canh chua ca
- 60 gm tamarind pulp
- 1.5 litres fish stock or water
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- ¼ cup finely grated palm sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 150 gm okra, cut into thirds widthways
- 250 gm piece of pineapple, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 200 gm flathead fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, cut into thin wedges
- 2 fresh red birdseye chillies, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp lime juice
- To serve: Vietnamese mint, coriander leaves and lime wedges
- 1Combine tamarind pulp and ½ cup boiling water in a small bowl, set aside for 5 minutes, then press through a sieve, reserving paste and discarding seeds.
- 2Combine fish stock, tamarind paste, fish sauce, palm sugar and garlic in a large saucepan and simmer over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add okra, pineapple and flathead, then cook for 2-3 minutes or until fish is just cooked through.
- 3Add tomato, chillies and lime juice to soup and stir to combine, then cook for another 1-2 minutes or until tomato is soft. Season to taste, then ladle soup among bowls and serve immediately, scattered with herbs, with extra herbs and lime wedges passed separately.